4. Establishment of National Shipping Board
5. Functions of National Shipping Board
6. Power to make rule in respect of matters in this Part
4. Establishment of National Shipping Board�(
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify in his behalf, there shall be established a Board to be called the National Shipping Board (hereinafter in this Part referred to as the Board).
(2) The Board shall consist of the following members, namely:--
a) six members elected by Parliament, four by the House of the People from among its members and the other two by the Council of States from among its members;
(b) such number of other members, not exceeding sixteen as the Central Government may think fit to appoint to the Board, to represent�
(i) the Central Government,
(iii) seamen, and
(iv) Such other interests as, in the opinion of the Central Government, ought to be represented on the Board; Provided that the Board shall include an equal number of persons representing the shipowners and seamen
3) The Central Government shall nominate one of the members of the Board to be the Chairman of the Board.
(4) The Board shall have power to regulate its own procedure.
5. Functions of National Shipping Board -- The Board shall advise the Central Government--
(a) on matters relating to Indian shipping, including the development thereof; and
b) on such other matters arising out of this Act as the Central Government may refer to it for advice.
6. Power to make rules in respect of matters in this Part
(1) The Central Government may make rules to carry out the purposes of this Part.
(2) In particular, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such rules may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:--
(a) the term of office of members of the Board and the manner of filling casual vacancies in the Board;
(b) the appointment of officers and other employees to enable the Board to discharge its functions under section 5 and the terms and conditions of their service;
(c) the travelling and other allowances payable to members of the Board.